Friday, May 6, 2011

Spread Bagelry: Montreal-Style Bagels in Philly

After months of anticipation (because I swear they were supposed to open back in January or February), Spread Bagelry (located conveniently across the street from me) opened its doors to customers this past Monday.

As a New Yorker, I grew up with bagels, whether it be the ones from the bodegas and delis right by school, or the ones off the coffee carts outside the office, or the ones from H&H that have garnered national acclaim.

Although I'm not a big fan of bread, I'm almost always willing to make an exception for a taste of something new. And having never had a Montreal-style bagel, I was keen to see how it'd fare against my traditional New York bagel.

To my delight, I thought my whole wheat everything bagel was quite delicious. A little denser and a little sweeter, it contrasted well with the slightly salty Trader Joe's peanut butter cream cheese I slathered on it. Because Montreal-style bagels are made without salt and boiled in honey water, they have just a hint of sweetness--which my sweet tooth appreciated.

While the staff is still figuring out basic things (like how to use the credit card machine), they are very congenial, which is always wonderful to have first thing in the morning. In addition, the rustic quality of the space and the warmth of the wood fire oven are both great draws for potential customers, especially since spring has yet to cling to Philly.

Food-wise, Spread offers a number of scrumptious-sounding seasonal spreads (including Amish Farm Jam and Sweet Farm Butter), as well as breakfast sandwiches, regular bagel sandwiches, and bagel melts. The menu is just extensive enough without being overwhelming, and the fact that the bagelry serves La Colombe Coffee is simply icing on the cake.

While the cost of these bagels and bagel products are definitely (and often significantly) higher than your typical bagel options, they may be worth it given the seasonal, local, and farm-fresh quality of their ingredients. However, I'll need to make it back and try the Bagelry Club before I make any further comments.

For now, if you'd like to experience the latest bagel craze for yourself, check out:

Spread Bagelry
262 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215.519.5236
http://www.spreadbagelry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...