Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Lentil Stew

I invented this recipe for lentil stew, taking my inspiration from a recipe for Misir Wot, or Ethiopian Lentil Stew, in the Jewish Vegetarian cookbook “Olive Trees and Honey.” I used some of their flavoring choices and some of my own. I also used two recipes in “Simply in Season,” the Ethiopian Lentil Bowl and the Hearty Lentil Stew for ideas.

The great thing about this recipe is that you can really leave out anything you want (except the lentils and water, obviously) depending on what you like or have. I only used stuff I already had in my kitchen.

I was a bit skeptical at first. This was a total experiment, and I’ve only made soups a couple times before. It’s good, though! The chili powder and freshly ground (of course) black pepper add a little kick, and the raisins a little sweetness. I think it’s a keeper, if I do say so myself.


Lentil Stew (invented by yours truly)

Ingredients:

2 c. water
½ c. lentils
~5 oz. tomato paste
12 baby carrots, chopped
½ large onion, chopped
A couple handfuls of random frozen vegetables (peppers, green beans)
A handful of raisins
2 big cloves garlic, chopped
Scant tbs. chopped fresh ginger
Generous dash cumin
Chili powder, as you like it
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

Cook altogether over LOW heat, covered, until lentils are cooked, about 30-45 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Try not to sustain a steam burn, as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...